JANESVILLE (WIFR) -- On December 4, 2012, Detective Mark Johnson arrested Travis Boerschinger for numerous counts of theft from person and attempted theft from a person.
The arrests stem from a series of purse snatchings that occurred on Janesville’s north side business district at the beginning of October.
The thefts occurred at: Sam’s Club, Movies 16, Americas Best Value Inn, Woodman’s, Boston Store, Walmart and Shopko.
Boerschinger is currently in custody at the Rock County Jail and has been charged with 7 counts of theft from a person and 2 attempted thefts from a person.
The Janesville Police has also released a few safety tips to keep in mind during the busy shopping and holiday season:
• Stay in well lit areas
• Avoid secluded areas.
• Avoid shortcuts through alleys or vacant lots.
• Look around as you walk and always be aware of your surroundings; trust your instincts.
• If you carry a purse, hold it close to your body. “Fanny-Packs” keep your personal items close to you while keeping your hands free. Don’t risk your safety/life for your personal property.
• Try to limit the number of packages you carry.
• Don’t wear headphones as they can inhibit your ability to hear someone approach you.
• Carry a cell phone if available and report suspicious activity immediately to police