FREEPORT (WIFR) — Highland Community College’s 2013 New Student Orientation has been set for Wednesday, July 31 and Thursday, August 1. For convenience, New Student Orientation is scheduled for two sessions; however, students only need to attend one session. Orientation begins on the second floor of the Student/Conference Center. Maps are available at www.highland.edu.
Highland Community College encourages all new students to attend orientation. Because Highland Community College is a popular setting for many events, many incoming students may already feel comfortable on campus. However, students who choose not to attend New Student Orientation may be missing a good deal of fundamental information that could have a direct impact on their academic success and satisfaction level as a student.
College students are expected to understand set procedures and processes. Many of these processes and collegiate jargon are unfamiliar to new students. During New Student Orientation, Highland personnel and faculty will clarify these expectations and procedures. This event is structured to inform students of the resources available and to prepare our students to get the most out of their College experience.
Highland recognizes the significant role that parents and family members play in the academic and learning process; therefore, attendance by parents and family members is encouraged.
New Student Orientation is beneficial to both parents and students.
The schedule for New Student Orientation will be as follows:
Wednesday, July 31
• 4:00 – 4:30 p.m., Sign-in and Welcome
• 4:30 – 7:00 p.m., Campus Discovery: Find out how to be successful at HCC through a walking presentation visiting each of our main campus centers. Interact with faculty, current students, student services staff, and other new students.
• 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m., Visit the Bookstore, explore buildings, find classrooms and enjoy refreshments provided by Project Succeed.
Thursday, August 1
• Noon – 12:30 p.m., Sign-in and Welcome
• 12:30 – 3:00 p.m., Campus Discovery: Find out how to be successful at HCC through a walking presentation visiting each of our main campus centers. Interact with faculty, current students, student services staff, and other new students.
• 3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m., Visit the Bookstore, explore buildings, find classrooms and enjoy refreshments provided by Project Succeed.
For additional information about Highland Community College’s New Student Orientation, call 815.599.3612.