Garage Fire Spreads to Home in Machesney Park

MACHESNEY PARK (WIFR) -- A Machesney Park man loses almost everything he owns after flames start in his garage and then spread to the rest of the home.

The fire started around 11:30am on Saturday at the home at 137 Greenview Avenue. A neighbor noticed that the garage was on fire and alerted the homeowner, who attempted to put out the smoke with his garden hose. That didn't work so he grabbed his two dogs and ran out with just the clothes on his back.

“I had a 1980 Monte Carlo in there I was redoing, it was pretty close but its melted to the ground. My Harley, it’s gone, it’s all gone. It’s going to kill me I didn't even grab any clothes when Ii ran out," says homeowner Jeff Burk.

Investigators are still trying to figure out that sparked the fire. No estimates yet on just how much damage the flames caused.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus