OREGON (WIFR) – Emergency crews had a difficult time extinguishing a house fire in Oregon where flames stretched more than 20 feet high. Crews have been battling the flames for more than an hour now.
Firefighters are still dousing the house with water as most of the flames have died down. All that is left are the skeletal remains of what used to be a home in Oregon.
The fire started around 2:30, Wednesday afternoon.
We're told the owner of the home is a former firefighter. He was in the house with his baby grandchild when he smelled smoke coming from the basement. The man went downstairs to see what was burning and found the wood burning stove had caught fire and started to spread.
He was able to get out of the home with the baby and both are safe tonight. Fire crews did have a rough time putting out the fire as they were running out of water while waiting for mutual aid to arrive.
Firefighters have deemed the home a total loss and the American Red Cross is on their way to help the family.
Firefighters will continue to pour water onto the home for a few more hours as some portions are still smoldering.