Blackhawk Technical College Students Provide Public with Free Tax Preparation Service

By  | 

JANESVILLE (WIFR) -- Students in Blackhawk Technical College’s Accounting and Administrative Professional programs once again are ready to serve the community by assisting low income and elderly with their 2013 tax returns.

The Voluntary Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program recently began its 21st year of operation when students from the Administrative Professional program under the direction of instructor Patti DeGarmo began scheduling Tuesday appointments for those who qualify for the service.

Second-year accounting students, supervised by instructor Kay Fratianne, handle the tax returns. Fratianne, a certified public accountant, reviews each completed return prior to a client signing it.

The Internal Revenue Service recently commended the BTC program for an error rejection rate of below one percent, one of the lowest in the St. Paul, Minn., territory.

The student preparers are trained in tax preparation and use electronic tax filing software to process tax return information to the IRS. Services are limited to common filing requirements and not all tax situations qualify. Client information is handled in a confidential and professional manner.

Appointments for the upcoming tax year will be on Tuesdays and continue until April 1. Appointment times will be from 1:00 to 3:15 p.m. No appointments will be made for March 11 due to BTC’s semester break. Those interested in the service should call (608) 743-4577. Leave a message with your full name and phone number, and you will be contacted about an appointment. Those seeking the service are asked to bring:

• Proof of identification (picture ID)
• Social Security Card for you, spouse and dependents
• Birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents on the tax return
• Wage and earning statements (i.e. W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers)
• Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
• A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
• Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit, such as a blank check.

• Married filing separate
• Head of household for married taxpayers
• Farming
• Incomes over $52,000 per year
• Rental Income

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus