For more information on how to protect your identity, visit www.bbb.org
ROCKFORD (WIFR) -- The Better Business Bureau, Rockford Regional Office and MembersAlliance Credit Union, invites consumers and businesses to protect their identities by shredding unwanted personal, financial or confidential documents for FREE at the Community Shred Day, as part of Money Smart Week.
Saturday, April 5th, 2014
MembersAlliance Credit Union Parking Lot
2550 S. Alpine Rd. (corner of Alpine & Harrison)
9:00 a.m. - 12 Noon
For more info call – 815-963-2222
On site shredding services will be provided by Paper Recovery Service Corporation of Loves Park. Consumers may bring a maximum of 2 boxes per car for shedding.
For access to the shredding enter off of S. Alpine into the shopping center and drive south to the credit unions drive-up area.
The Community Shred Day is one way that the Better Business Bureau and its Accredited Businesses MembersAlliance and Paper Recovery can help Rockford area residents prevent identity theft.
The following are some suggestions for deciding what to shred and what to keep:
• Be sure to keep bank statements and canceled checks for at least one year.
• Bills should be kept for one year or until the canceled check has been returned. Receipts for large ticket items should be kept for insurance purposes.
• Home improvement receipts should be kept for six years or permanently.
• Items such as birth certificates, social security cards, insurance policies, titles or wills should be kept permanently in a safety deposit box.
• If you are going to dispose of documents with sensitive information, be sure to SHRED!
For more information about Community Shred Day contact the BBB at 815-963-2222 or MembersAlliance Credit Union at 815-226-2260 / 800-426-2260, online at www.membersalliance.org, or on Facebook and Twitter.