UPDATE: Belvidere Burger King Goes Up in Flames

By  | 

UPDATE (WIFR) -- The dinner crowd at the Belvidere Burger King had to run to safety Tuesday night after a fire started in the kitchen and spread to building's roof.

The fire broke out around 6:30pm on Tuesday evening. Employees say there were about 8 people working at the time and about 5 people in the dining room, with a couple cars in the drive thru. Everyone got out safely, but the flames spread quickly from the kitchen's exhaust vents and across the attic. The building will probably be a total loss.

"We initially made an attack interior to the vents over the stoves and were unsuccessful in putting the fire out and it spread through the attic pretty quickly and we had to go defensively at the time," says Belvidere Fire Chief David Worrell.

Around ten different departments were on scene to put out the flames. Fire fighters say they had a hard time finding water; one of the hydrants they tried didn't work and water pressure is low in the area near the Burger King. Investigators aren’t sure yet just what sparked the fire.


BELVIDERE (WIFR) -- Multiple fire departments from around the Stateline are in Belvidere tonight battling a major fire at the Burger King on Southtowne Drive.

Right now it's unclear what may has started the blaze and if anyone has been hurt.

23 News Reporter Jessica Geraci is on the scene and will have the very latest tonight on the 23 News Update at 10.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus