Illinois Officials Urging Awareness of Carbon Monoxide in Homes

By: 23 Newsroom
By: 23 Newsroom

SPRINGFIELD (AP) -- If you've been indoors staying warm and avoiding the freezing temperatures, Illinois officials are urging homeowners to be aware of potential carbon monoxide poisoning.

The odorless, tasteless and invisible gas can be deadly when high levels are inhaled. It can be produced by faulty or poorly repaired appliances such as furnaces, water heaters and dryers. Dirty wood fireplaces, blocked chimneys and gas space heaters can also cause problems.

State law requires CO detectors within 15 feet of every room used for sleeping in a home or apartment. Illinois officials urge residents to check batteries on those carbon monoxide detectors.

If you are experiencing headaches, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, confusion, or having trouble sleeping this may be signs that carbon monoxide poisoning.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
23 WIFR 2523 North Meridian Road Rockford, IL. 61101 Business: 815-987-5300 Fax: 815-965-0981 News: 815-987-5330 Fax: 815-987-5333
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 243941691