Acid Spill at Local College

By  | 

Rockford fire fighters say a 200-gallon tank of hydrochloric acid spilled in the maintenance area of the physical education center.

The building was evacuated. An employee was taken to St. Anthony Medical Center for exposure to the fumes. Hazmat crews were called in to stabilize the area.

The fire department was on the scene for several hours. An outside agency has since been called in to clean up the spill. The basketball game scheduled to take place Thursday night has not been cancelled.