An apartment caught fire in the 500-block of Walnut St. this morning, killing a 15-month-old child.
It happened at 510 Walnut St. in downtown Rockford. Firefighters responded to reports of heavy smoke pouring out upstairs windows around 5:30 a.m. That's when they found out the child was inside the apartment. Two other children and two adults escaped, but 15-month-old William Gary was not so lucky. He died of smoke inhalation and various burns. The fire resulted in an estimated $80,000 in damages
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.