Senator Offers Disaster Assistance Options

U.S. Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL) today released a list of flood insurance assistance and temporary shelter options currently available to Rockford area residents through local flood assistance efforts.

“There is a tremendous amount of work ahead of us in Rockford and Winnebago Counties,” said Durbin. “Damage estimates show that over 150 homes and businesses have been devastated by the Labor Day weekend storm. Since the flooding began, I have been in contact with state and federal disaster officials, as well as Mayor Morrissey and Alderman Holt. I commend the cooperation of federal, state and local leaders, and their efforts to secure financial and temporary housing assistance options for Rockford area residents.”

In order for an area to be eligible for federal assistance from FEMA it must be first declared a federal disaster area by the President. Such disaster declarations are only made once a determination has been made that the state and local governments do not have sufficient resources to cope with the problem. State disaster officials will be in Rockford today to assess the damage to homes and businesses.

Red Cross Shelter / Other Local Service Agency Information:
The local Rock River Chapter of the American Red Cross is managing the temporary emergency shelter at Hallstrom Center 1300 17th St, Rockford .

If people would like more information on the shelter, they can call the local Rockford Red Cross chapter at 815-963-8471.

The Red Cross is assisting families and individuals with shelter, water, and any emergency needs they may have.

The Salvation Army is providing food and canteen services. All in-kind donations are being referred to the Salvation Army at 1-800-460-4850.

Those wishing to donate money to help families affected by the flood are asked to call the Rock River Chapter of the American Red Cross at 815-963-8471.

National Flood Insurance Information:
Under current law, The National Flood Insurance Program is managed by FEMA and enforced by the State according to local flood regulations. The City of Rockford and the County of Winnebago are both part of the National Flood Insurance Program.

Homeowners with homes damaged from the floods should call their insurance agent and file a claim within 60 days.

There are two kinds of flood insurance- insurance for building damage and insurance for building contents. Regular homeowner's insurance will not cover damage to the home or contents caused by a flood. Residents are asked to document damage before they clean or remove debris. To complete a claim, the insurance adjuster has to see the damage to verify the homeowner's claim.

There is no up front deductible for flood insurance. The $5,000 deductible is deducted from the final amount of compensation awarded to the homeowner.