Kelley Blue Book and kbb.com, the Trusted Resource® for new and used vehicle information today released the results of its annual back-to-school car-buying poll.
Whether heading back to high school or college the 2006 study reveals that 43 percent of drivers age 16-25 would like to arrive on campus in a Ford Mustang, making it the No. 1 choice among younger drivers for the second year in a row.
In the current poll, parents chose the Honda Civic as the car they would most like to see their child drive and four out of the top five picks among parents of 16-25-year-olds this year were from Asian manufacturers including small sedans from Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Mazda. Coming in at No. 5 on the parent's list was the mid-size SUV, the Ford Escape.
Ford Mustang, the leader among young drivers, was only the eighth most chosen vehicle among parents.
Whether you are looking for a new or used vehicle for a teenager, following are a few tips to keep in mind as you begin your journey to find the 'right' vehicle for your teen. Here are some tips:
· Do your homework before you buy anything
· Check Safety Ratings/Crash Test Results/Rollover Ratings
· Read reviews, Kelley Blue Book's kbb.com has reviews on used vehicles as well as new
· Do a side-by-side comparison of the top three vehicles you are considering
· Don't buy a car for your teen without driving it yourself
· If you are considering a used vehicle, have it checked out by a local and reputable service shop
· If the car will be purchased from an individual, print the private-party value from kbb.com as well as Kelley Blue Book's 27-point vehicle Condition Quiz to take with you. These items will help you determine the 'actual' condition and value of the vehicle
· Don't let your teen talk you into buying a vehicle you are not comfortable with
If you are a teen, do all of your homework before you meet with mom or dad; show them you are responsible and ready for a car.
Parents and young adults looking for more information on new and used vehicles can visit www.kbb.com for pricing, comparisons, safety ratings, vehicle specifications, reviews, photos and more.
Kelley Blue Book Marketing Research administered this survey on kbb.com from August 18-23, 2006.