UPDATE: 3-Year-Old Lee County Boy Electrocuted

By: AP
By: AP

UPDATE DIXON, Ill. (AP) -- The accidental electrocution last month of a 3-year-old Amboy boy was caused by current from an improperly grounded family camper.

The (Dixon) Telegraph reports it's a problem known among recreational vehicle enthusiasts as "hot skin."

3 year old Landyn Gerald Keener died June 30 when he touched a door handle of the camper while standing on wet ground.

Lee County Sheriff John Varga calls it a tragic accident and says nobody was at fault.

Electrical engineer Mike Sokol tells the newspaper he's started a website to educate RV owners about electrical safety. He recommends buying a noncontact voltage tester at a hardware store to test for problems. He also recommends using only electrical outlets for RVs that were installed by a professional.


AMBOY, Ill. (AP) -- The Lee County Sheriff says a 3-year-old boy was accidentally electrocuted in the small town of Amboy.

Lee County Sheriff John Varga says Landyn Gerald Keener was pronounced dead Monday morning. The sheriff says the boy was leaving a trailer on his parents' property when the accident happened.

Varga tells The Telegraph in Dixon that it appears the outside of the trailer became electrified because of faulty wiring.

Amboy is about 50 miles southwest of Rockford.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
23 WIFR 2523 North Meridian Road Rockford, IL. 61101 Business: 815-987-5300 Fax: 815-965-0981 News: 815-987-5330 Fax: 815-987-5333
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 265540941 - wifr.com/a?a=265540941