Fire officials say a smoke detector saved a family from an overnight house fire in Rockford.
Firefighters were called for the fire just after 2 a.m. Wednesday morning at 5210 Village Court. Investigators say the fire started in the basement and spread to the first floor.
Smoke detectors woke up the sleeping family inside. Nobody was injured. Inspectors say careless use of cigarettes started the fire. The fire did approximately $80,000 worth of damage.
The family is temporarily staying at another family member's house.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.