UPDATE: Teen Sentenced for 2013 Freeport Murder

By  | 

UPDATE: STEPHENSON COUNTY (WIFR) – An 18-year-old convicted of murder in the shooting death of a 30-year-old will not leave prison until after he turns 70.

A judge has sentenced Traveontaye Berry to 52 years in prison. Both Berry’s mother and the step-mom of the victim, Carl Green Jr. took the stand today to share their memories of their sons and while one’s life will remain behind bars for the better part of his life, the other’s life has come to an end. The two women share their feelings calling the past two years a sad situation.

The original incident happened back in October 2013 where police responded to shots fired and found Green Jr. suffering from a gunshot wound. Berry faced the possibility of serving anywhere from 45 years to life, but Judge Michael Bald handed out his sentence, just two years less than the state’s recommendation. Green’s step mom, Carla Green says she thinks the ruling is lenient and doesn’t think Berry understands the gravity of his situation.

“We can’t get Carl back. I wish it would’ve been more, but it’s not up to me. I think he understands, but he doesn’t understand. It’s like I don’t know if it’s hit him yet,” says Green.

During her testimony, Green says she never once saw any remorse from Berry and never once did he apologize to her or her family, adding “it’s easier to pull a trigger than to sit down and talk about it.”

Berry’s attorney said he told his client prior to the trial not to show too much emotion.

If the two sides will be back in court on May 13th because the defense wants to file a motion for a re-trial. They say if that does not get approved, then they will also ask for a new sentence.

*NOTE* An earlier version of this story had a previously incorrect sentencing of 62 years. The actual sentencing is 52 years.

UPDATE: It took a Stephenson County jury no more than an hour and a half to convict a Freeport teen of murder.

18-year-old Traveontaye Berry was found guilty of first degree murder and aggravated discharge of a firearm in the 2013 shooting death of Carl Green Jr.

The jury came to a decision Tuesday afternoon after closing arguments the same morning.

Both the prosecution and defense questioned the credibility of each others' witnesses and despite there being no fingerprints or DNA of Berry on the gun, he could be spending a minimum of 45 years in prison.

Sentencing has been set for April 2, 2015.

UPDATE: FREEPORT (WIFR) – The trial is underway for a Freeport teenager accused of murder.

18-year-old Traveontaye Berry says he is innocent in the death of Carl Green Jr., who was shot and killed in October 2013 in Freeport. Berry was 16 at the time of the shooting but is being tried as an adult.

Opening statements began this morning inside the Stephenson County Courthouse. County State’s Attorney John Vogt explained to the jury the timeline of the night of October 16th and what led to Green’s death, saying Berry was identified by a neighbor as the shooter.

Defense attorney Travis Lutz says there is no physical proof that points to Berry, saying the neighbor is not a credible witness and she also hid evidence.

UPDATE: FREEPORT (WIFR) – A Freeport teen will face first degree murder charges and be tried as an adult.

17-year-old Traveontaye Berry says he’s not guilty and he’s demanding a jury to decide his fate.

Berry is accused of killing 30-year-old Carl Green, Jr. back on October 16th. Green was shot to death near Empire Street and Float Avenue in Freeport.

Police say they saw Berry running from the scene just moments after hearing the gunshots. Berry’s trial is expected to start on January 6th.

UPDATE: STEPHENSON COUNTY (WIFR) -- Police say the death of a 30-year-old Freeport man wasn’t a random attack.

Investigators tell us they are confident they have the only shooter in custody. Murder charges were just filed against the teenager who investigators believe fired the fatal shot.

17-year-old Traveontaye Berry is charged with killing Carl Green Jr. late Wednesday night. Green was shot near Empire Street and Float Avenue. Police say they saw Berry running from the scene just moments after hearing the gunshots.

Berry is being held in the Knox County Juvenile Detention Center in Galesburg.

ROCKFORD (WIFR) – Another homicide hits the city of Freeport, this is its fourth one this year. But this time, police have a suspect in custody.

At just 30-years-old, Carl Green Jr. of Freeport has lost his life. He was shot Wednesday night near Empire Street and Float Avenue on Freeport’s southeast side. He died a short time later at Freeport Memorial Hospital.

Police heard shots and were able to catch a 16-year-old boy running from the scene.

“If officers wouldn’t have been in the area right then and there, this person running from the scene would have gotten away, it’s very fortunate that the officers were that at that particular time,” said Deputy Chief James Drehoble.

A man who knew Green since they were kids remembers him having a funny laugh. He also says crime is getting out of control. His best friend, 33-year-old Jimmy Whitehead died after a hit and run last June.

“It’s getting to the point where you don’t know what street is safe to walk down. You don’t even know who to say is a friend anymore.”

We’re told the 16-year-old suspect is from Freeport. Police won’t say if he had a gun on him when he was arrested, but he was taken to the Winnebago County Juvenile Detention Center. Charges haven’t been filed yet. Police aren’t releasing a motive yet either.

Police aren’t saying how many times Green was shot or where on his body, but an autopsy is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.

FREEPORT (WIFR) -- A 30-year-old man is dead after a shooting in Freeport Wednesday night.

Police say they were near Empire Street and Float Avenue around 11:30 p.m. Wednesday night when they heard shots fired. A 16-year-old boy was found running from the scene and was apprehended.

A 30-year-old man was found laying in a yard. He was taken to Freeport Memorial Hospital where he later died from his injuries.

The 16-year-old is currently being detained in police custody. The investigation remains ongoing. The State's Attorney's Office is currently reviewing whether any charges will be pressed against him.

The victim's identity is not being released pending family notification.

If you have any information regarding the incident, please call Freeport Police at (815) 235-8222 or Stateline Area Crime Stoppers at (866) 847-7669.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus