Rockford Police have received almost 80 calls from people who have filed a report. Police say there could still be more calls coming in and that could put the vandalism numbers in the hundreds.
Police say the east and northwest side specifically Harlem Boulevard were the hardest hit. Deputy Chief Dominic Iasparro says that he believes it's a group of youth that travel down various streets shooting a BB gun.
Rockford Auto Glass says it can cost anywhere from about $200 to $2,000 to fix the windows. In both of their shops they have about 80 car windows to repair and that means more manpower with a lot of overtime.
Rockford police say they have no significant leads. They are asking the community for help. If you have any information you are asked to call Rockford Police or Crimestoppers at 963-7867 or toll free at 1-888-769-STOP.
wifr.com: Extended Web Coverage
Professional thieves can steal any car, but you should make them work for yours.
- To prevent thefts, the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) recommends "Layered Protection." The more layers of protection on your vehicle, the more difficult it is to steal.
- The "common sense" approach to protection is the simplest and most cost-effective way to stop would-be thieves. You should always secure your vehicle; remove keys from the ignition, lock all doors, close all windows, and park in a well-lit area.
- The next step is a warning device. This layer of protection alerts thieves that your vehicle is protected and the list includes; audible alarms, steering wheel locks, brake locks, theft deterrent decals, and identification markers in or on the vehicle.
- The third layer of protection is one that prevents thieves from bypassing the ignition and hot-wiring the vehicle. Popular third layer devices include; smart keys, high security locks and keys, fuse cut-offs, and starter disablers.
- The last layer of protection is a tracking device which emits a signal to a police or monitoring station. One of those systems is the LOJACK tracking devices.
Source: National Insurance Crime Bureau