UPDATE: Preliminary Cause of Death Released in Oregon Teen Death

UPDATE: OREGON (WIFR) – Police believe they know what killed a local high school senior who died after an underage drinking party in Oregon earlier this month.

Investigators have called this case very complex from the start and now we’re learning why there haven’t been any arrests made. We’re told 18-year-old Jonathan Williams likely died from head trauma caused by a fall, after he was punched during a fight.

It sounds very cut and dry, however, the Ogle County State’s Attorney is now reviewing the case to determine what, if any, charges will be filed. That’s because preliminary reports show Williams died from head trauma not the hit. Detectives interviewed more than 50 involved with the Monroe Street Party, including the person who allegedly punched Williams.

Oregon Police have completed their report and will now summarize the case for the State’s Attorney’s Office.

The reason charges haven’t been filed is because the man who hit Williams could have claimed self-defense. It could also be battery.

UPDATE: Autopsy results on the Oregon teenager who was found dead at a party aren't being released. The Oregon Police Department is requesting additional forensic analysis on Jonathon Williams, 18. He was found unconscious at an underage house party early Saturday morning where he got into a fight Friday night. No one's been charged in his death.

OREGON (WIFR) -- A local high school senior is dead after he was found unconscious after an underage drinking party in Oregon on Saturday morning. His mother is now speaking out.

“He was looking forward to graduating and going on to welding and we'll never know what he could have been," says Jon Williams’ mother Lynda Wade.

Lynda Wade never imagined that when her son Jonathan Williams left home Friday night, the next time she'd see him would be in a hospital bed. Police say the 18 year old was involved in a fight at a home on Monroe Street. Officers showed up around 3am on Saturday to break up a party where dozens of teens were drinking. Five were arrested, but officers say they didn't see Williams. Five hours later, an ambulance showed up at the home and took the unresponsive teen to the hospital, where he died on Sunday afternoon.

"They had to remove part of his skull and do two emergency surgeries and he never regained consciousness," says Wade.

The mother of three says unlike some teens, her son loved to spend time with his family.

"His sister and him were two peas in a pod, he and his brother had a special bond," says Wade.

Williams was heading into his senior year at Oregon High School. The school released the following statement:
“Jon was well liked by faculty and peers alike. Our crisis team is working closely with both staff and students to help them through this difficult time. Our thoughts, prayers and condolences go out to his family.”

“He loved everybody and would do anything to make you smile,” says Williams’ mother. “He isn't an everyday kid, wasn't an everyday kid, I guess."

Lynda Wade hopes other families will learn a lesson from her tragedy.

"If anything comes of this, talk to your kids, kids talk to your parents, make a plan. So the next time this happens, you know what to do, call 911, know there won’t be recourse from your family," says Wade.

The adults at the home on Monroe Street were out of town when the party happened. One person who was at the party, Justin Coltrain, 33, has been arrested for battery, but police say Williams was not the target of that battery. A full autopsy on the teen won't be completed until the middle of the week.

UPDATE FROM THE OREGON POLICE DEPARTMENT -- On August 10th, 2013 at 3:16 a.m., the Oregon Police Department responded to a disturbance in the 800 Block of Monroe Street. The following individuals were taken into custody and transported to the Ogle County Jail.

Miranda R. Garcia 19, Oregon Illegal Consumption of Alcohol by A Minor and Resisting/Obstructing a Peace Officer.

Kyle A. Grant 19, Mt. Morris, IL Illegal Consumption of Alcohol by A Minor.

Trei T. Sanders 18, Mt. Morris IL Illegal Consumption of Alcohol by A Minor.

Iris I. Estrada 18, Oregon IL Illegal Consumption of Alcohol by A Minor and Resisting/Obstructing a Peace Officer.

A 15 year old male juvenile, Mt. Morris IL was taken into custody for Illegal Consumption of Alcohol by A Minor he was released to the custody of his parents pending a petition of juvenile delinquency.

At 8:19 a.m. on 08/10/13 the Oregon Police Department assisted the Oregon Ambulance with an EMS call to 804 Monroe Street in Oregon. At that time Jonathan T. Williams 18, Oregon, IL was unresponsive and was transported by Oregon Ambulance to KSB Hospital in Dixon, IL. Williams was then transferred to St. Anthony’s Medical Center in Rockford for further treatment. At 12:33 p.m. on 08/11/13 the Winnebago County Coroners Office advised the Oregon Police Department that Jonathan Williams was pronounced deceased.

The Oregon Police Department immediately began an investigation into this incident. Our preliminary investigation shows that there was a fight among several individuals at approximately 3:00 a.m. on 08/10/13 at which time Jonathan was injured. The Oregon Police Department is working closely with Ogle County States Attorney Mike Rock and the incident remains under investigation at this time.

At 7:16 p.m. on 08/11/13 Oregon Police arrested Justin W. Coltrain 33, Mt. Morris for battery. The victim of this battery was not Jonathan Williams, but the arrest was a result of the continuing investigation into this incident.

“We are requesting anyone with any information or anyone who may have photographs or video of the incident to contact the Oregon Police Department at 815-732-2162 immediately” – Chief Darin DeHaan Oregon Police Department

BREAKING UPDATE: Oregon Police tell us the teen found unresponsive after an underage drinking party at a house on Monroe Street Saturday has died. 18 year old Jon Williams was pronounced dead at a local hospital this afternoon.

Investigators are interviewing dozens of witnesses to determine what happened. Preliminary reports show there was some type of fight however, investigators are trying to figure out if Williams was involved. Stay with WIFR for the latest on this case. We'll have more information as it becomes available.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus