UPDATE: Standoff Suspect Sentenced to 10 Years

By  | 

ROCKFORD (WIFR) -- A Rockford man arrested after a ten hour standoff with police is now heading to prison.

Rashad Pelzer,33, plead guilty on Thursday to unlawful use of a weapon by a felon and was sentenced to ten years in prison.

UPDATE: A 10-hour police standoff is finally over and the man behind it, is in custody. It turns out, the man has been wanted for more than a year.

It is peaceful once more in the area of Yonge Street, however it was a very different scene for much of the day Tuesday as officers including members of the Rockford SWAT team tried to coax Rashad Pelzer out of the house.

The 32-year-old barricaded himself inside after police tried to arrest him for violating his probation back in 2012.

“When he saw the officers he went in the house, turned the lights off and officers had a phone conversation and asked him to surrender, he said he wasn’t going to do that, that he wasn’t home,” said Lt. Pat Hoey with the Rockford Police Department.

Tuesday’s standoff began shortly before 4:30 in the morning following a 9-1-1 call from the son of Pelzer’s girlfriend. The boy told police Pelzer was beating his mom. She and the boy left the house and told police Pelzer was still inside with a gun.

For more than 5 hours, police couldn’t reach Pelzer. When they did, police say the conversations weren’t rational.

“His emotions ran from calm and cool to upset and they kept their cool and they got him to surrender successfully,” said Lt. Hoey.
It took three hours of talking with crisis negotiators and family members to convince him to surrender.

“We have our SWAT team but the whole goal is not to use the SWAT team. This is a great example where taking our time and having trained crisis negotiators to convince him that surrendering is the best thing to do and he can go to court and fight his legal battles there.”

When he goes to court, Pelzer, faces 3 counts of domestic battery, plus aggravated assault as well as today’s charges and his outstanding arrest warrants.

Some neighbors were evacuated in the area, however police say most had already left for work.

UPDATE: After nine-hours of tense negotiations, a police standoff on Rockford’s west side has come to an end.

The suspect, 32-year-old Rashad Pelzer is now in police custody.

We’ll have more on this story tonight on the 23 News at 5.

UPDATE: The Rockford Police SWAT team is on the scene to negotiate with a suspect locked inside a home possibly with a gun after a domestic battery call.

32-year-old Rashad Pelzer has refused to talk to police after speaking with them once they arrived. Pelzer has prior arrests for aggravated discharge of a firearm, armed violence, aggravated assault to a police officer, armed robbery and unlawful use of weapons.

Police will release more information soon at the church parking lot at Auburn Street and Tacoma Avenue. We will update you as we learn more.

ROCKFORD (WIFR) - Rockford police are recommending that people avoid the 2400 block of Yonge Street this morning. They are on the scene trying to coax a domestic battery suspect out of a house there.

Police say before 4:30 a.m. Tuesday morning, they were called by a child saying a man was beating his mother. The mother told police her boyfriend hit her and she left the home with her children. She says he is still in the house with a gun. He's on parole, wanted on a probation violation warrant and has prior weapons offenses.

Police have blocked off the area to continue to talk with the suspect.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus