ROCKFORD – Thursday July 4th, 2013 the annual MELD Classic 8K/2Mile Run will be held at 7:00 a.m. beginning on Madison under the Jefferson Street Bridge near the Trolley Station. Traffic will be impacted as follows:
• Madison St. from E. State north to Y Blvd. will be closed during this event
The Annual 4th of July Parade will kick off at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday July 4, 2013. Traffic will be impacted as follows:
• The parade will form at 7th Street & 6th Ave., proceed north on 7th St. to E. State St., west to Wyman St, turn south on Wyman St. and continue to just south of Cedar St. where the parade will disband. Street closures will begin one hour before the parade and smaller streets that intersect the route will also be closed during that time period.
• Police traffic control on arterials such as 2nd, 3rd, 6th and 7th Streets will allow traffic to cross periodically, but traffic is urged to find alternate routes.
• Traffic Control will remain in effect at several of these locations until after the annual fireworks display is complete.
• Viewing of the fireworks will be permitted on the 2 northern lanes of the Chestnut Street Bridge this year. Many excellent sites are available throughout the city, including local parks
• Parking downtown: People are urged to carpool if they plan on coming downtown, and leave plenty of time to park and find a place to watch the parade and fireworks as spaces fill up early. Limited parking is available in the parking deck west of the BMO Harris Bank Center (former Metro Centre) on S. Church St. at no charge, however the entire 4th floor of this parking deck will be closed to the public; the parking deck east of the Coronado Theatre on N. Main just north of Jefferson St. is completely open and various municipal surface parking lots are available. Please watch for signs at private lots and do not park in any lot or space where signs are posted warning that cars will be towed, as well as any city streets posted “No Parking”
• Due to construction to area streets this year the amount of available arterial streets are limited. Please pay special attention to the following:
For detailed information on the parade or fireworks display contact Joe Marino, Rockford 4th of July Committee at 815-494-2569. For specific street closure information, contact: Kelly Nokes, Assistant Operations Manager, 815-967-6915.
Have a safe holiday!