Directions1. Grease a cookie sheet.
2. Stir together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
3. In a mixer bowl, beat butter or margarine and shortening on medium speed of electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add sugars and beat till fluffy. Add egg, milk, and vanilla; beat well. Add dry ingredients to beaten mixture, beating till well combined. Stir in nuts.
4. Cover and chill 45 minutes for easier handling.
5. Shape into two 7-inch rolls. Wrap in waxed paper or clear plastic wrap; chill at least six hours or overnight.
6. Remove from refrigerator and reshape slightly to round out flattened side. Chill longer if you have difficulty slicing.
7. Remove wrap. Cut into 1/4-inch slices.
8. Place 1 inch apart on greased cookie sheet.
9. Bake in a 375° oven for 8-10 minutes or till lightly browned.
10. Cool about 1 minute before removing from cookie sheet. Cool on a wire rack.
Yield: Makes about 60 cookies
Note: You can add cocoa, mint, raspberry or any other flavoring, or add food coloring to have beautifully colored cookies.