DirectionsThe batter needs to be refrigerated for 24 hours to let the yeasty dough ferment, so prepare it the day before.
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water in a small bowl; let stand five minutes. Add milk and oil, stirring with a whisk.
2. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 2 cups flour and sugar in a small bowl.
3. Add flour mixture to yeast mixture, stirring with a whisk until just combined. Cover and let stand in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, one hour or until mixture is bubbly. Stir batter.
4. Cover and refrigerate 24 hours.
5. Let batter stand at room temperature 20 minutes (batter will be thick and spongy). Coat a waffle iron with cooking spray, and preheat.
6. Stir batter; add 1/2 cup flour, salt, and egg, stirring with a whisk. Add cheese and ham; stir well.
7. Spoon about 1/2 cup batter onto hot waffle iron, spreading batter to edges. Cook three to five minutes or until done; repeat procedure with remaining batter.
8. To prepare sauce, combine syrup and mustard in a bowl; stir with a whisk. Serve with waffles.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 waffle and 1 Tbsp. sauce).
Nutritional Information: Calories 348, Fat 10.4 grams, Protein 17.6 grams, Carb 45.8 grams, Fiber 1.3 mg, Sodium 634 mg, Calcium 290 mg.