Directions1. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed until foamy.
2. Add sugar, one tablespoon at a time, beating constantly until sugar is dissolved (rub a bit between fingers - if you can feel sugar, it's not dissolved) and whites are glossy and stand in stiff peaks. Add vanilla.
3. Divide meringue so variation ingredients can be added to different batched of meringue.
4. Fold in any ingredients and place in a plastic zipper bag. Let air out and squeeze meringue to the corner. Cut off corner and use the bag to squeeze meringue onto ungreased cookie sheets. Each kiss should be about 1 tablespoon.
5. Decorate with candy or nut toppings if desired.
6. Bake in preheated 275° oven for 30 minutes or until kisses are dry to the touch. Cool on pan before removing.
7. When completely cool, store in a dry, airtight cookie tin.
Yield: Makes about 12 dozen kisses