UPDATE: Marc Mongan sentenced to 30-months probation

By  | 

Updated June 19, 2018, 11:40 a.m.

UPDATE: OREGON, Ill. (WIFR) -- The man responsible for a boat crash that killed Megan Wells has now been sentenced.

"It's just interesting that you can take a life, a very precious life, and the outcome is 30 months probation," said Megan Wells' father David Swaziek.

Swaziek and his family have been fighting for closure for almost two years.

Wells was killed when Marc Mongan's boat crashed into the boat she was riding.

"We certainly were looking for some type of incarceration," said Swaziek.

Ogle County Judge John Redington sentenced Mongan to 30 months probation. During that time, he won't be able to operate a boat, drink alcohol, or come near Wells' parents.

"I guess the question is, what is justice?" said attorney for Megan Wells' family Cynthia Koroll.

Koroll believes Mongan did not intentionally drive his boat into the one Megan Wells was on, however, they believe he chose to drink before driving.

"The charges at the scene were misdemeanor charges. They were aware of Megan's death. There had been a call from the officers seeking to enforce the law by obtaining chemical testing that did not occur," said Koroll.

Koroll says those misdemeanor charges might have been dropped, but Megan's parents fought for a different result, making sure he faced seven felony charges, including one for taking Wells' life.

"He entered into a plea for the charge of reckless conduct," said attorney for Marc Mongan David Tess.

"The guilt and anxiety associated with all of this over the last two years has been overwhelming," said Mongan.

"We have to move forward," said Swaziek.

Mongan's attorney says he has no plans to appeal. However, Megan's family says they have plans to pursue complaints about things that happened at the beginning of the case.

------

Updated April 19, 2018, 1:58 p.m.

UPDATE: OGLE COUNTY, Ill. (WIFR) - Marc Mongan opts to take the plea deal offered by the Illinois Attorney General's Office.

Mongan pleads guilty to reckless conduct, all other charges were dismissed.

Mongan's attorney, David Tess, of Tess & Crull Law, said: "With all due respect to Mr. and Mrs. Swaziek and the rest of Megan Wells' family, Mr. Mongan made a very difficult decision to do what was in the best interest of his family. Any further comment would come after sentencing on June 19. "

------

Updated April 18, 2018, 9:20 a.m.

UPDATE: OGLE COUNTY, Ill. (WIFR) - The man facing a number of felony charges in the boating death of a stateline mom has a little more time to decide if he will accept a plea offer.

Oregon man Marc Mongan has until Thursday, according to the Rockford Register Star, to accept the plea offer that was offered to him during a pre-trial hearing. If Mongan does not accept the plea offer, jury selection is expected to begin Monday for his trial.

Mongan faces seven felony charges in the 2016 boating death of Megan Wells including three counts of reckless homicide.

Details of the offer have not been made public.

------

Updated January 30, 2018, 5:23 p.m.

UPDATE: OGLE COUNTY, Ill. (WIFR) - The upcoming trial for the Oregon man charged in the fatal boating accident that killed Megan Wells is rescheduled.

According to Sauk Valley Media, the rescheduling is taking place because a report from a defense expert has not been submitted.

The next status hearing is set for 2:30 p.m. Feb. 8.

------

Updated December 19, 2017, 7:31 p.m.

UPDATE: OGLE COUNTY, Ill. (WIFR) - The man accused of crashing his boat into another, while drunk, killing a local mom returns to court ahead of his trial next year.

An Ogle County judge heard several motions ahead of the February 14 trial date for Marc Mongan. Included was a motion allowing Megan Wells' parents to remain as "crime victims."

The judge denied two motions brought by the defense that would have limited Wells family attorney's involvement in the case as well as barring some evidence from the trial.

Mongan, who was allegedly driving the boat that killed Wells on the Rock River back in 2016, faces seven felony charges in her death.

-------

Posted November 8, 2017, 7:30 p.m.

OGLE COUNTY, Ill. (WIFR) - An Ogle County judge set Marc Mongan's trial date for February 14th of next year.

Mongan faces seven felony charges in the death of 31-year-old Megan Wells. Motions introduced in court focus only on those felony charges which include reckless homicide and aggravated driving under the influence. The motion also calls to drop misdemeanor charges.

Wells' family says they feel one step closer to finding justice for Megan.

"We're getting to the point where we wanted at the very beginning and had been asking for from the very beginning from day one. We do have those felony charges and we'll present the evidence and let a jury of his peers decide. The truth will prevail," says Wells' father David Swaziek.

A hearing has been scheduled for December 9th to discuss final motions before the trial begins. Mongan's attorney was unavailable for comment.