Fire department warning about charging your phone in bed

FLAMES

NEWTON, N.H. – Fire officials are warning parents to keep an eye on where your child keeps their phone charger.

The Newton New Hampshire Fire Department posted a photo on its Facebook page of a burned sheet and blanket with the warning, “The heat generated cannot dissipate and the charger will become hotter and hotter. The likely result is that the pillow/bed will catch fire. This places the child/teen as well as everyone else in the home in great danger. Please check where you & your family charge your mobile devices.”

According to the fire department, research shows more than half of children and teens charge their phone or tablet either on their bed or under their pillow.