Family is displaced after a basement fire on Rockford's south side

By  | 

ROCKFORD, Ill. (WIFR) -- A family is displaced and two pet cats are dead after a basement fire breaks out in the 500 block of Brooke Road just after 5 Monday evening.

The Rockford Fire Department says the fire was likely started by a clothes dryer. When crews arrived on scene they searched the building for occupants, and only found pets. Two cats and a guinea pig were rescued while two other cats died.

The Red Cross is searching for shelter for two adults and two children who live in the home. Crews say there is extensive damage to the basement and the kitchen above it. No one was injured in the blaze.

The fire caused an estimated $22,000 worth of damage.