UPDATE: Rockford man in custody in connection with October 2017 murder

By  | 

Updated January 12, 2018 8:45 a.m.

UPDATE: ROCKFORD, Ill. (WIFR) -- According to Winnebago County jail records, Marcus Marshawn Spates is in custody.

The 47-year-old Rockford man was booked early Thursday afternoon after turning himself in.

Spates will be in court Friday afternoon. His bond is set at $300,000.

Spates is considered innocent until proven guilty.


Updated January 11, 2018, 3:41 p.m.

UPDATE: ROCKFORD, Ill. (WIFR) - The Winnebago County State's Attorney's Office announces charges against a 47-year-old Rockford man in connection with an October fatal shooting.

Rockford police are looking for 47-year-old Marcus Marshawn Spates, of Rockford, in connection with the murder of 27-year-old Isaiah Starks on October 5, 2017.

Investigators say Spates faces 12 counts of first-degree murder, a Class M felony.

Spates faces 20-60 years per count with the possibility of natural life followed by three years of mandatory supervised release.

Spates is innocent until proven guilty.


Updated October 6, 2017 12:15 a.m.

UPDATE: ROCKFORD, Ill. (WIFR) - We now know the name of the Rockford man killed on Cole Avenue Thursday afternoon as well as a man in custody for the murder.

Rockford police say during the investigation into the murder of 27-year-old Isaiah Starks, they located a man they believed was involved in the incident.

Investigators took 41-year-old Jamie Spates into custody after the investigation was reviewed by the Winnebago County State's Attorney's Office.

Spates is charged with first-degree murder and is being held on a two million dollar bond.


ROCKFORD, Ill. (WIFR) -- Investigators are on scene of a deadly shooting on Rockford's southwest side.

Investigators say a 27-year-old man was shot in the 300 block of Cole Avenue around 1:30 p.m. on Thursday. The man was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead. Rockford Police say they know of several witnesses that they believe left the scene before officers arrived.

Anyone with information is asked to call Rockford Police or Crime Stoppers.