1 cup water
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
1. In large saucepan, combine water, salt and butter.
2. Cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until butter melts.
3. Stir in flour.
4. Lower heat and cook, stirring vigorously, until mixture forms a ball, 1-2 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and let sit for a minute.
6. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Batter should be smooth and glossy.
7. Drop batter onto ungreased cookie sheet as follow and bake in 400 degree oven for time indicated:
For cream puffs: 1/4 cup batter; 2 - 3 inches apart; makes 12 large puffs; bake 35 - 40 minutes
For éclairs: 1/4 cup batter shaped into 4x1 inch fingers; 2 - 3 inches apart; makes 12; bake 35 - 40 minutes
For Mini Puffs: 1 inch mounds; 2 inches apart; makes about 48 mini puffs; bake for 25 - 30 minutes.
Ring: Shape 12 mounds of batter into a large circle on cookie sheet and smooth together; bake 35 - 40 minutes
All variations should be baked until golden brown and firm. Cool completely on wire racks.
8.Cut off tops and fill as desired and replace tops. (You may want to pull out some strands of batter inside before filling.) If a crisp shell is desired, cut off tops as soon as they come out of the oven.
9. Dust with sugar.