Buttermilk Spaetzle and Pretzel Bread
4 large egg yolks
2 large eggs
2 cups buttermilk
4 cups all purpose flour
Salt and fresh ground pepper
Pinch of nutmeg
1/4 cup oil
1 oz. butter
2 cups water
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. yeast
5 1/2 cups flour
1 Tbsp. salt
6 cups water
2 Tbsp. baking soda
1 egg, for egg wash
Kosher salt or pretzel salt
1. Whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, and milk.
2. Blend flour with salt, pepper, and nutmeg
3. Add egg mixture and mix until just blended, allow to rest for 1 hour.
4. Bring large pot of salted water to a boil
5. Push batter through a colander with large holes using a spatula.
6. Cook until the dumplings are tender, about 4 minutes, and then drain.
7. In a large skillet, heat the oil until hot, add spaetzle and cook for 3 minutes, without stirring.
8. Add butter and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with parsley and serve.
1. Make bread dough recipe, allow to double in size one time.
2. Knock back dough and divide into 4 equal pieces.
3. Roll each piece into snakes of equal lengths.
4. Braid two pieces together to form a loaf, repeat process to form another loaf.
5. Allow loaves to rest for 20 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 450 degrees and start heating water in a non-aluminum pot,
add the baking soda and bring the water to a simmer.
7. Gently place loaf in water with a spatula and turn up heat, cook on both sides for 1 minute.
8. Gently remove from water and place on greased sheet pan.
9. Repeat process for other loaf.
10. Before baking, brush with egg wash and sprinkle with salt.
11. Bake for 12 - 15 minutes or until the loaves are golden brown.